Written by Daisy Pratt from www.totm.com
We live in such a toxic world and I’m always looking for new and interesting ways to supplement my healthy lifestyle, which is how I came across colonic irrigation.
Aside from periods, the other natural bodily function I find my friends shy away from in conversation is their bowel movements. Yes, I’m talking about “number 2’s”. I am very much a TMI kind of girl and really don’t struggle to talk about this stuff so I wanted to share my experience of having colonic irrigation with you, the benefits it can offer and what to expect before, during and after treatment.
Firstly, in case you’re not 100% sure what colonic irrigation is, it’s the safe and effective process of cleansing the colon, or large intestine (the end portion of your digestive system). It is done with purified filtered water, which is why it’s sometimes referred to as ‘colon hydrotherapy’ or an ‘internal shower’.
The main purpose is to detoxify the colon from a build-up of wastes, yeasts and toxins. An accumulation of these waste products can have a harmful effect on the body and slow down many of its processes.
You’d be surprised how many of your daily symptoms are a result of your impacted and sluggish colon; IBS (irritable bowel syndrome), diarrhoea, headaches, skin problems, bloating, constipation, asthmas, sleep problems, depression, weight gain, many allergies and much more. By removing these harmful waste products from the body, it is then free to absorb nutrients and water resulting in better digestion of food, enabling the body to repair itself. It’s important to look after our digestion to prevent disease and stay healthy.
Colonics are also a great way to kick-start a detox too, and I can certainly testify to this because after just one treatment I felt lighter, healthier and more energised. After a few days, my tummy was flatter and my skin was far more radiant.
Some of the benefits of colonic irrigation:
- Improved bowel function
- Relieves and improves constipation
- Helps with bloating, flatulence, diarrhoea and IBS
- Helps improve liver and gall bladder function
- Clearer and healthier looking skin (acne, psoriasis and other skin complaints)
- Reduction in headaches/migraines
- Better sleeping patterns
- Helps with stress and anxiety
- Mental or physical sluggishness
- Strengthened immune system
- Better absorption of essential vitamins and minerals
- Aids weight loss
- Relieves allergies, asthma and arthritis
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and M.E.
- Relieves Haemorrhoids
And, something I thought was really interesting was that it’s perfectly safe and even beneficial to have a colonic during your period. In fact, some women find that having a colonic at that time reduces the amount of menstrual discomfort experienced!
What to expect from colonics
- Note, if you are unwell, pregnant or recovering from a serious illness, then colonic irrigation is not recommended.
- 24 hours before your treatment, eat light healthy meals along with lots of water and try to avoid alcohol and coffee.
- It’s recommended not to have solid foods for three hours prior to the session and no liquids for one hour prior.
- It’s best to arrive 10 minutes before your treatment so you have time to fill in your questionnaire and ensure your treatment runs smoothly.
- You will be given a full consultation to decipher the reasons for choosing colonic hydrotherapy and identify any areas which need attention, to ensure you get the most from your session.
- Your therapist will also explain the procedure and what to expect so you are comfortable and confident to proceed.
- A small speculum is carefully inserted into your bowel through the rectum (only about 1.5 inches). The tube is small and many people hardly feel the insertion due to its size and the lubrication used. The speculum allows warm filtered water to enter the colon to its entire length at a controlled rate. The water gently removes faecal matter and this is released through a transparent pipe and monitored by your therapist.
- During your treatment, you will also receive an abdominal massage, which aids with the release of waste from the colon.
- The whole process can be felt but is not painful; the sensation that could be felt is slight cramping due to gas or waste accumulation.
- All of the equipment is disposable and hygienically prepared just before your treatment to ensure 100% cleanliness.
- The treatment is private and confidential. You will be made to feel very comfortable and at ease to ensure you enjoy and reap the benefits of colonic irrigation.
- The system is enclosed so mess and odour is not an issue.
- The entire session should take about an hour with the treatment taking no longer than 30 to 40 minutes.
- After your treatment, it is advisable not to consume alcohol, carbonated drinks or unhealthy food for at least 24 hours. However, it is strongly recommended that you top up on friendly bacteria as your system will be empty. Pro-biotic (fermented) foods such as natural yoghurt or miso help put the friendly bacteria back into your system.
- Due to this cleansed environment of the colon, regular bowel movements may take a few days or longer to resume. This is a good sign of a healthy positive change.
- Your body would also have absorbed a lot of water following the treatment and so you may notice an increased need to urinate, again this is a good sign as your body will be fully hydrated and flushed of toxins.
- It is advised to continue consuming several glasses of water after your treatment to fully flush everything out. Drink room temperature to warm water.
- If you have suffered with a long-standing condition of constipation or health problems, a slight headache of fatigue may be experienced with the first or second colonic. If this is experienced, then a good rest will help restore the balance.
- Following the treatment most can go about their day as normal. This treatment could easily be taken within your lunch hour at work.
- A course of colonics is recommended, generally a series of three. One session will remove some of the stagnant waste in the colon. The second and subsequent colonics will remove more. How many you may wish to have will depend upon your personal objectives. Regular clients may have maintenance colonics from once a month to once every three months.
I really can’t recommend colonic irrigation enough, it’s not for everyone but if you can be openminded about the process, and feel reassured that it’s not going to be as bad or embarrassing as you may have previously thought, there are lots of benefits to reap!
If you feel comfortable doing so, we’d love to hear your thoughts on colonic irrigation in the comments below!
*Daisy went to Danielle at Essential Health Colonics in Bristol.